Auto show back in Detroit next year with focus on outdoors

DETROIT — The head of Detroit’s big international auto show says it will return to the Motor City next year, but with smaller indoor displays, and more emphasis on experiencing vehicles and technology outside.

The North American International Auto Show was canceled last year due the coronavirus pandemic and will be replaced this year by an event at a racetrack north of Detroit.

But Rod Alberts, executive director of the Detroit Auto Dealers Association, which runs the show, says that next year there will be an event in the city’s downtown. 

“That’s the place it belongs,” Alberts told the Automotive Press Association of Detroit on Thursday. 

But he said the show will have to change from the past, when automakers built elaborate and costly multi-story displays and unveiled their most important new models. Now car companies are finding they can get good exposure and spend less by doing virtual unveilings outside of auto shows, where vehicles can get overshadowed by other debuts. Some automakers had pulled out of Detroit and other shows. 

Next Post

Be a safe traveler this summer

Tue Jun 22 , 2021
Pixabay TRENTON – As motorists take to New Jersey roadways this summer, Attorney General Gurbir S. Grewal and the Division of Highway Traffic Safety has offer seven lifesaving tips for safe travels through the Garden State. The days that stretch between Memorial Day and Labor Day – often referred to […]